What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?

If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare but serious complications associated with this disease. If you are a woman who has mumps, abdominal pain could mean that your ovaries have become infected with the virus. When this happens, your ovaries become inflamed. In rare cases, this complication affects fertility.

Abdominal pain during mumps infection could also be a sign of pancreatitis. The pain will be high up in the abdomen and could be accompanied by vomiting and nausea.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...