What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?

If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare but serious complications associated with this disease. If you are a woman who has mumps, abdominal pain could mean that your ovaries have become infected with the virus. When this happens, your ovaries become inflamed. In rare cases, this complication affects fertility.

Abdominal pain during mumps infection could also be a sign of pancreatitis. The pain will be high up in the abdomen and could be accompanied by vomiting and nausea.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...