What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?

If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare but serious complications associated with this disease. If you are a woman who has mumps, abdominal pain could mean that your ovaries have become infected with the virus. When this happens, your ovaries become inflamed. In rare cases, this complication affects fertility.

Abdominal pain during mumps infection could also be a sign of pancreatitis. The pain will be high up in the abdomen and could be accompanied by vomiting and nausea.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...