What are the treatment options for mumps?

Mumps is a viral infection, so antibiotics and other drugs are not considered effective treatment options. For the most part, mumps clears up on its own after about two weeks. Complications are rare. You will probably be advised to consider yourself contagious for a period of at least one week after your diagnosis. Take steps to avoid spreading mumps during this period.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...