What are the treatment options for mumps?

Mumps is a viral infection, so antibiotics and other drugs are not considered effective treatment options. For the most part, mumps clears up on its own after about two weeks. Complications are rare. You will probably be advised to consider yourself contagious for a period of at least one week after your diagnosis. Take steps to avoid spreading mumps during this period.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...