Should I talk to my doctor about my mumps symptoms?

You should talk to a medical professional if you think you have mumps. Mumps can cause dangerous complications. Complications do not occur often, but when they do, they can become life-threatening, especially for adults. The complications of mumps include encephalitis and meningitis in adults or children, although children usually recover without a problem. Other complications may include pancreatitis, swelling of organs like the liver, heart, or kidneys, paralysis of facial muscles, hearing loss, inflammation of the breats or ovaries, and orchitis (testicular inflammation, which is very painful and can lead to infertility). 

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...