Should I talk to my doctor about my mumps symptoms?

You should talk to a medical professional if you think you have mumps. Mumps can cause dangerous complications. Complications do not occur often, but when they do, they can become life-threatening, especially for adults. The complications of mumps include encephalitis and meningitis in adults or children, although children usually recover without a problem. Other complications may include pancreatitis, swelling of organs like the liver, heart, or kidneys, paralysis of facial muscles, hearing loss, inflammation of the breats or ovaries, and orchitis (testicular inflammation, which is very painful and can lead to infertility). 

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...