Should my child get the mumps vaccine?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children under age 13 should get two doses of the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine. The first dose should be given at 12-15 months, followed by a second dose when your child is between four and six years of age. Talk to your doctor about your child's vaccine schedule.

However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...