Should my child get the mumps vaccine?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children under age 13 should get two doses of the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine. The first dose should be given at 12-15 months, followed by a second dose when your child is between four and six years of age. Talk to your doctor about your child's vaccine schedule.

However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...