Should I get the mumps vaccine?

If you were born in 1957 or after, you should get the mumps vaccine. One dose should be enough unless you work in a healthcare facility and need two to protect yourself. If you had mumps as a child, or if you can prove that you were vaccinated, you may not need to get the mumps vaccine. Talk to your doctor about whether or not you require a vaccine. However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...