Should I get the mumps vaccine if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, you can get a mumps vaccination. Getting the vaccine will not cause your baby any harm. Breastfeeding should not keep you from getting the mumps vaccine. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have about your baby's health and exposure to the vaccine.

However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...