Should I get a mumps vaccine?

You need to receive two doses of the mumps vaccine during your lifetime to enjoy immunity. Those who have contracted and recovered from mumps are also immune. If you have not received two doses of the vaccine and have never contracted mumps, you may be at risk for infection with the mumps virus and may want to consider getting vaccinated.

If you are not immune to mumps, and you are a woman of childbearing age who is not pregnant and is not planning to become pregnant in the next month, you might want to consider getting vaccinated. Those who are attending college or other forms of higher education, such as technical school, may need a vaccine. Health and child care workers may want to be vaccinated. If you intend to travel abroad, you might want to get vaccinated.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...