Should I get a mumps vaccine?

You need to receive two doses of the mumps vaccine during your lifetime to enjoy immunity. Those who have contracted and recovered from mumps are also immune. If you have not received two doses of the vaccine and have never contracted mumps, you may be at risk for infection with the mumps virus and may want to consider getting vaccinated.

If you are not immune to mumps, and you are a woman of childbearing age who is not pregnant and is not planning to become pregnant in the next month, you might want to consider getting vaccinated. Those who are attending college or other forms of higher education, such as technical school, may need a vaccine. Health and child care workers may want to be vaccinated. If you intend to travel abroad, you might want to get vaccinated.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...