Should children get a mumps vaccine?

Since the mumps vaccine was first developed in the 1960s, it has become routine to vaccinate children against this disease. Doctors recommend that most children receive a mumps vaccine between 12 and 15 months of age. Many children will contract mumps anyway, usually between the ages of five and ten. These children will most likely remain immune to mumps for the rest of their lives. Children who do not contract and recover from mumps before the age of 12 should receive a second dose of the vaccine. Vaccination can help protect children from the dangerous complications of mumps.

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics the Mumps Vaccine should be given as MMR or MMRV routinely to children at 12 through 15 months of age, with a  second dose of MMR given at 4 through 6 years of age. The two dose effectiveness is approximately 90% (range 88-95%).

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a viral disease also known as epidemic parotitis. It swells the parotid glands, which are s...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...