What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?

If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken. Avoid foods that are difficult to chew and acidic foods, since both of these can worsen the pain associated with mumps. Quarantine yourself as much as possible for the first week following your diagnosis, to avoid spreading the disease. After one week, you may again have contact with others, but you may still need plenty of rest until your symptoms clear up entirely, in about two weeks' time.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...