How can I prevent my child from getting mumps?

A vaccine (shot) can help prevent mumps, measles and rubella (MMR). It needs to be given two times.

• At 12-15 months of age
  • At 4-6 years of age before entering school
  • Those who have not already received the second dose should have one by 11-12 years of age.
  • If your child has had either the mumps or the shot, he is usually protected from getting the virus again. Rarely, a child may have a second bout of mumps.

Talk with your child’s doctor about the MMR vaccine to make sure your child can receive it and to answer any questions you might have.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...