How can I prevent my child from getting mumps?

A vaccine (shot) can help prevent mumps, measles and rubella (MMR). It needs to be given two times.

• At 12-15 months of age
  • At 4-6 years of age before entering school
  • Those who have not already received the second dose should have one by 11-12 years of age.
  • If your child has had either the mumps or the shot, he is usually protected from getting the virus again. Rarely, a child may have a second bout of mumps.

Talk with your child’s doctor about the MMR vaccine to make sure your child can receive it and to answer any questions you might have.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...