How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose mumps?

While you are waiting for your appointment to diagnose mumps, ask your doctor if you should remain isolated to prevent the spread of the disease, and if so, for how long. Make a list of your symptoms and remember to keep track of when they appeared, how long you have experienced them, and how they have progressed. If you can recall when your exposure to the mumps virus occurred, this can help your doctor make a diagnosis. Make sure to tell your doctor about any other medical conditions you might have and any medications or supplements, even over-the-counter ones, that you might be taking.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....