How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose mumps?

While you are waiting for your appointment to diagnose mumps, ask your doctor if you should remain isolated to prevent the spread of the disease, and if so, for how long. Make a list of your symptoms and remember to keep track of when they appeared, how long you have experienced them, and how they have progressed. If you can recall when your exposure to the mumps virus occurred, this can help your doctor make a diagnosis. Make sure to tell your doctor about any other medical conditions you might have and any medications or supplements, even over-the-counter ones, that you might be taking.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...