How do other illnesses affect mumps?

Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigger risk is that they may prevent you from getting the vaccine. The mumps vaccine is made from a live virus, and those with poorly functioning immune systems may contract the disease after getting the vaccine. Check with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...