How do other illnesses affect mumps?

Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigger risk is that they may prevent you from getting the vaccine. The mumps vaccine is made from a live virus, and those with poorly functioning immune systems may contract the disease after getting the vaccine. Check with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...