How do mumps spread among children?

Mumps is easy to spread from person to person. It can be spread from someone sneezing, coughing or coming into contact with the saliva of someone who has the virus.

Things that you and your family can do to help prevent from spreading the virus include:

• Cover the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing and sneezing.
  • Wash your hands well and often.
  • Do not share plates, cups or silverware.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...