How do mumps spread among children?

Mumps is easy to spread from person to person. It can be spread from someone sneezing, coughing or coming into contact with the saliva of someone who has the virus.

Things that you and your family can do to help prevent from spreading the virus include:

• Cover the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing and sneezing.
  • Wash your hands well and often.
  • Do not share plates, cups or silverware.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...