How long does mumps last?

The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Symptoms last about 16 to 18 days. You should consider yourself contagious during the first week following diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...