How long does mumps last?

The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Symptoms last about 16 to 18 days. You should consider yourself contagious during the first week following diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...