How long does mumps last?

The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Symptoms last about 16 to 18 days. You should consider yourself contagious during the first week following diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a viral disease also known as epidemic parotitis. It swells the parotid glands, which are s...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...