How is mumps diagnosed?

Because vaccination against the mumps virus has become routine, mumps infection is much rarer than it used to be. Other common illnesses, such as tonsillitis, can cause symptoms similar to those of mumps. If you have not been vaccinated against mumps, you are at risk for infection. A blood test for mumps antibodies can diagnose mumps infection.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...