How is mumps diagnosed?

Because vaccination against the mumps virus has become routine, mumps infection is much rarer than it used to be. Other common illnesses, such as tonsillitis, can cause symptoms similar to those of mumps. If you have not been vaccinated against mumps, you are at risk for infection. A blood test for mumps antibodies can diagnose mumps infection.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...