How does mumps affect the body?

Mumps causes swelling in the parotid glands on either side of the neck. The cheeks can become quite swollen. Fatigue, weakness and fever can occur. Mumps can make eating painful. Mumps may cause dangerous complications, including encephalitis, meningitis, pancreatitis, inflammation of the testicles or ovaries, and hearing loss.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...