How do medications treat mumps?

There is no cure for mumps. Mumps is a viral infection, so antibiotics are an ineffective treatment. If you have mumps, you may want to avoid acidic foods, since these can aggravate the facial soreness associated with mumps. You may want to choose foods that are easy to chew, since mumps can make chewing painful. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen can relieve the pain of mumps.

In males, mumps can cause a form of testicular inflammation known as orchitis. Ice packs can help ease the pain of orchitis. More serious complications, such as meningitis, may require hospitalization and the administration of IV fluids.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...