How is a child treated for mumps?

Your doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines to follow are listed below:

• Antibiotics are not usually useful treating mumps because it is caused by a virus.
  • Make sure your child gets plenty of rest.
  • Warm or cold packs on the swollen area to help decrease pain.
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol® or other less costly store brand) and ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil® or other less costly store brand) can be used for fever or pain. Do not give your child aspirin.
  • Do not give acetaminophen to babies under 3 months of age without a doctor’s order.
  • Do not give your child more than 5 doses of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period.
  • Do not give ibuprofen to babies less than 6 months of age without a doctor’s order.
  • Give your child soft, bland food such as soups, pudding and ice cream
  • Have your child drink plenty of fluids. Drinks like water, milk, decaffeinated tea and soft drinks are best. Avoid sour foods and fruit juices like orange juice or lemonade – they can make the pain worse.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...