Does mumps affect children differently than adults?

Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms and are at risk for most of the same complications. Children are more likely to contract mumps, especially between the ages of five and ten. Typically, you need to have received two doses of the vaccine during your lifetime to achieve immunity, although it is still possible to catch mumps, especially with a lot of exposure. Those who have contracted and recovered from the virus also enjoy similar immunity.

Children who are recovering from mumps and other viral infections that cause fever, like chickenpox, should not take aspirin. Children are at risk for Reye's syndrome, a rare but deadly complication that can occur when aspirin is administered for the treatment of mumps pain and inflammation, or for any other viral infection. (In general, acetaminophen or ibuprofen in children’s doses are safer choices for children.) Adults are not at risk for Reye's syndrome, and may take aspirin to relieve the pain and inflammation of mumps.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...