Does mumps affect children differently than adults?

Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms and are at risk for most of the same complications. Children are more likely to contract mumps, especially between the ages of five and ten. Typically, you need to have received two doses of the vaccine during your lifetime to achieve immunity, although it is still possible to catch mumps, especially with a lot of exposure. Those who have contracted and recovered from the virus also enjoy similar immunity.

Children who are recovering from mumps and other viral infections that cause fever, like chickenpox, should not take aspirin. Children are at risk for Reye's syndrome, a rare but deadly complication that can occur when aspirin is administered for the treatment of mumps pain and inflammation, or for any other viral infection. (In general, acetaminophen or ibuprofen in children’s doses are safer choices for children.) Adults are not at risk for Reye's syndrome, and may take aspirin to relieve the pain and inflammation of mumps.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a viral disease also known as epidemic parotitis. It swells the parotid glands, which are s...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...