Do mumps epidemics occur?

Due to the widespread use of the mumps vaccine, mumps epidemics are rare in developed countries. Mumps epidemics are common in populations where routine vaccination does not occur. In the United States, most children receive two doses of the mumps vaccine, at about one and four years of age, respectively. Children who have not had both doses will have less immunity to the virus. Many adults may not have received a second dose of the mumps vaccine and may never have contracted the illness. And the vaccine does not provide absolute protection, especially if there is a lot of exposure to people with mumps. For these reasons, mumps epidemics sometimes occur in the U.S.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...