Do mumps epidemics occur?

Due to the widespread use of the mumps vaccine, mumps epidemics are rare in developed countries. Mumps epidemics are common in populations where routine vaccination does not occur. In the United States, most children receive two doses of the mumps vaccine, at about one and four years of age, respectively. Children who have not had both doses will have less immunity to the virus. Many adults may not have received a second dose of the mumps vaccine and may never have contracted the illness. And the vaccine does not provide absolute protection, especially if there is a lot of exposure to people with mumps. For these reasons, mumps epidemics sometimes occur in the U.S.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...