What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?

Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use of the vaccine has reduced the cases of mumps infection among children. If infected with the  mumps virus, your child will suffer from a fever, headaches and swollen glands. Severe problems can lead to deafness, meningitis and swelling of the testicles or ovaries. Talk to your child's doctor about the risks and benefits of getting the mumps vaccine.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...