What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?

Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use of the vaccine has reduced the cases of mumps infection among children. If infected with the  mumps virus, your child will suffer from a fever, headaches and swollen glands. Severe problems can lead to deafness, meningitis and swelling of the testicles or ovaries. Talk to your child's doctor about the risks and benefits of getting the mumps vaccine.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...