What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?

Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use of the vaccine has reduced the cases of mumps infection among children. If infected with the  mumps virus, your child will suffer from a fever, headaches and swollen glands. Severe problems can lead to deafness, meningitis and swelling of the testicles or ovaries. Talk to your child's doctor about the risks and benefits of getting the mumps vaccine.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...