Can mumps be prevented?

Mumps is a viral disease. It is preventable by vaccine. Vaccination against mumps is routine in the United States. Children are typically vaccinated between 12 and 15 months of age, and again between four and six or 11 and 12 years of age. You need to have two doses of the vaccine for mumps during your lifetime to be considered fully immune.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...