Can mumps be prevented?

Mumps is a viral disease. It is preventable by vaccine. Vaccination against mumps is routine in the United States. Children are typically vaccinated between 12 and 15 months of age, and again between four and six or 11 and 12 years of age. You need to have two doses of the vaccine for mumps during your lifetime to be considered fully immune.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...