What stem cell is used to treat human diseases in the United States?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
Currently in the United States, adult stem cells (hematopoietic stem cells, or HSCs) are the only type of stem cell commonly used to treat human diseases. Doctors have been transferring HSCs in bone marrow transplants for over forty years. More advanced techniques of collecting (or "harvesting") HSCs are now routinely used in order to treat leukemia, lymphoma, and several inherited blood disorders. The clinical potential of adult stem cells has also been demonstrated in the treatment of other human diseases that include diabetes and advanced kidney cancer. However, these newer uses have involved studies with a very limited number of patients.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
Having MS, how should I handle weakness of both legs and hands?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Weakness of both legs may become a problem after many years with multiple sclerosis (MS). The usual ...
How is muscle weakness in multiple sclerosis (MS) treated?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Muscle weakness can occur in multiple sclerosis (MS) as a result of slowing or loss of nerve impulse...
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?