What research is being done on new treatments for multiple sclerosis?

There has been positive Phase III data presented for four possible disease­modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis (MS), and there are several agents that are in the midst of Phase III trials. Some of these (altemuzemab, rituximab/ocrelizumab) seem to raise the efficacy bar to new heights, while others (teriflunomide, daclizumab) offer good efficacy and safety. Disease­modifying therapies seem to exert their effect by tempering the immune response, but some newer oral medications (BG12 and laquinimod) purport to limit degeneration and may be neuroprotective as well.

Hopefully, there will be progress in the realm of central nervous system (CNS) repair, which may offer hope of reversing multiple sclerosis (MS) disability. There is a molecule early in development that seems to inhibit a signal that halts brain development. Conceptually, this will be a huge advance for people with secondary progressive MS (SPMS), but certainly previous attempts to develop treatments for SPMS have not been successful. There is a lot of excitement about stem cells. Although the research in this area is still very early, there seems to be potential to reduce the inflammatory attack, protect cells against degeneration and perhaps induce remyelination. 

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
Will treatment of the immune system help reduce severity of MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
The most exciting area in multiple sclerosis (MS) therapy today is the immune system. The evidence f...
Why should I consider horseback riding if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Both the shape of the horse's back and the horse's movements make it ideal for multiple sclerosis (M...
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?