What should I know before taking dimethyl fumarate?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to check your white blood cell count before and after you take dimethyl fumarate.

If you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or may be pregnant, dimethyl fumarate may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

Dimethyl fumarate may not be a good option for you if you are breastfeeding. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
Should I take medication for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
SwedishSwedish
Medications are available to slow the course of multiple sclerosis (MS). These medications are calle...
What are different categories of alternative treatments for MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Categories of alternative treatments:Treatments that increase blood flowTreatments that decrease blo...
Why Does Multiple Sclerosis Affect Sexual Function?