What is assistive technology?

Assistive technology (AT) products are designed to provide additional accessibility to individuals who have physical, speech, hearing or cognitive difficulties, impairments and disabilities. The term assistive technology or adaptive technology is a broad term that encompasses numerous assistive, adaptive and rehabilitative devices. The use of AT in the home, education and work environment is protected under Sections 504 and 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) is a category of AT products designed to enhance communication for those with impairments in the production of spoken or written language. AAC systems are extremely diverse and are dependent on the capabilities of the user. They may be as basic as a set of pictures on a board that are used to request help, food or other basic needs, or they can be sophisticated speech-generating devices that operate similarly to computers and are capable of “speaking” and storing thousands of phrases and words with a touch of a finger or gaze of an eye. 

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
Can I take herbal supplements if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Some herbal supplements may stimulate the immune system—not a good idea in multiple sclerosis (MS). ...
What stem cell is used to treat human diseases in the United States?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Currently in the United States, adult stem cells (hematopoietic stem cells, or HSCs) are the only ty...
How Can I Prevent Cognitive Impairment with Multiple Sclerosis?