When is rest advised as a treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

The onset of new symptoms should be reported to the doctor, who will determine whether the symptoms are multiple sclerosis (MS)-related or not. If a new attack is beginning, resting at home is the best treatment. How much rest depends on the seriousness of the attack. In some attacks of weak legs, you should get off your feet for a few days. For numbness or tingling, take rest periods during the day, and avoid exercise or overexertion. With a visual attack, rest, avoid excessive heat, and smoking and drinking. (Smoking and drinking have not been definitely shown to worsen an attack, but you don't want to pass up any bets.) Rest the eyes by avoiding reading and television.

Rest is often very effective in shortening the attack. In twenty-seven years of personal experience, I have found that rest at the beginning of an attack can often bring a person out of that attack within a few days.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
Is echinacea recommended for treating multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Echinacea is one of several dietary supplements said to stimulate the immune system. Sold as a cold ...
How do medications treat benign multiple sclerosis?
For the most part, the medications used to treat benign multiple sclerosis (MS) are the same as thos...
How Can My Diet Worsen Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?