Is there a cure for multiple sclerosis?

Dr. Louis Rosner
Neurologist

Currently, there is no cure for multiple sclerosis (MS). At this point in research, we have money and we have talent. We can always use more of each, but with persistence, good observation and serendipity, we'll have a cure for multiple sclerosis (MS) in the near future. MS research involves many different experts in neurology, virology, immunology, epidemiology and genetics. There is no one scientist who is an expert in all these fields, and, unfortunately, no one is coordinating all the scientific thought. The questions must be tackled from all their different angles, but eventually someone will have to merge all the information. At this point in research, we have money and we have talent. We can always use more of each, but with persistence, good observation, and serendipity, we'll have a cure for multiple sclerosis (MS) in the near future.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is not curable. The cause of the disease has not yet been determined and without a known cause, it is hard to cure. The good news is while MS can cause a wide range of symptoms, it is not life threatening. There are many treatment options available to help you manage the disease and ease pain.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

There is no cure for multiple sclerosis (MS); however, medications that are available can slow down the course of the disease. Therapies can treat specific symptoms of MS, such as pain, bladder problems, fatigue or weakness. Everyone with MS should see a doctor who is knowledgeable about MS and who can recommend a comprehensive approach to managing MS, which includes medications, mental health support and lifestyle modifications.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

There is no cure for multiple sclerosis (MS), but there are medications that may reduce disease activity, reduce frequency of relapses and delay physical disability in people with MS. Many aspects of MS can be effectively managed with medications. Also, physical and occupational therapy (rehabilitation) may help improve impaired functions. Counseling may have a positive effect on the psychological toll the disease takes on a person and her family.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

There is no cure for multiple sclerosis (MS), but scientists and researchers around the world are working diligently to decipher the complexities of this disease. There are injectable treatments designed to reduce the frequency of attacks and delay the progression of disability. There are also many medications available to treat the symptoms of the disease.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

What to Expect from MS Infusion Therapies
Several therapies for multiple sclerosis are delivered with an infusion, where a venous catheter is inserted into a vein and medicine is delivered int...
Are relaxation techniques successful in treating spasticity in MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Relaxation techniques, such as yoga, transcendental meditation, biofeedback, and autohypnosis, have ...
What should I know before taking glatiramer?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are hypersensitive to mannitol, you should not take glatiramer. If you are pregnant, may b...
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?