Is MS in children and teens treated differently from MS in adults?

Just like adults with multiple sclerosis (MS), children and adolescents are usually offered treatment with one of the disease-modifying therapies. Because current consensus supports initiation of treatment early in the disease course and these therapies can reduce the frequency and severity of relapses, decrease the number of new lesions seen on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and slow disease progression, they are considered for all age groups. Depending on the age and weight of the child, some neurologists may start treatment at a lower dose and remain at a lower dose for a longer period of time than with adults. Studies indicate that the disease-modifying therapies are safe and well tolerated in children and teens.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Can Alternative Therapies Help Manage Multiple Sclerosis?
Many MS patients are looking for an extra advantage in managing symptoms or slowing disease progression. Watch neurologist Charles Smith, MD, explain ...
What medications are available for treating spasticity in MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Medications for spasticity include baclofen, dantrolene, and diazepam. Relatively free of side effec...
What should I tell my doctor before I'm prescribed Aubagio for my MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Aubagio (teriflunomide) is a once-daily, oral therapy for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. If...
Does Knowing the Type of MS I Have Affect My Treatment?