Is MS in children and teens treated differently from MS in adults?

Just like adults with multiple sclerosis (MS), children and adolescents are usually offered treatment with one of the disease-modifying therapies. Because current consensus supports initiation of treatment early in the disease course and these therapies can reduce the frequency and severity of relapses, decrease the number of new lesions seen on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and slow disease progression, they are considered for all age groups. Depending on the age and weight of the child, some neurologists may start treatment at a lower dose and remain at a lower dose for a longer period of time than with adults. Studies indicate that the disease-modifying therapies are safe and well tolerated in children and teens.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

What to Expect from MS Infusion Therapies
Several therapies for multiple sclerosis are delivered with an infusion, where a venous catheter is inserted into a vein and medicine is delivered int...
Should I stop my multiple sclerosis (MS) treatment if it is not working?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
You may decide to stop using multiple sclerosis (MS) treatments altogether if they are not working f...
What role do mineral supplements play in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Since the 1880s when Charcot tested the use of zinc phosphates, minerals have been used in therapies...
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?