How are speech problems handled in multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Dr. Louis Rosner
Neurologist

Speech problems are not very common but they can be a source of great distress to patients when they do occur. Multiple sclerosis (MS) speech trouble consists of slurring or jerky rhythm. Disturbance of pronunciation or rhythm of speech is the last of Charcot's three signs, called dysarthria. It is rare and usually found in the more advanced disease. If part of a new attack, the speech problem may clear on its own, but if present for two or three months, a speech therapist is recommended. Both problems may be handled by talking more slowly and concentrating on careful enunciation. But the speech therapist will have a program specifically tailored to the individual problem. Retraining exercises, in which the patient analyzes the problem on audio tapes, often help correct it. The earlier the patient begins to monitor speech problems, the better the prognosis for correction.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
How effective is natalizumab?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Natalizumab is one of the most effective drugs for treating MS. It reduces the rate of relapses by m...
How effective is glatiramer?
Glatiramer reduces relapses by about 30% for people with relapsing-remitting MS. In people with rela...
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?