How does meditation help treat multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms?

In a meditative state, a person with multiple sclerosis (MS) becomes relaxed, anxiety and muscle tension are released, and blood pressure is lowered. "It is believed to be the opposite of the physiologic response known as the 'fight-or-flight response,' characterized by the activation or stimulation of multiple body processes, such as increases in heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing rate," Dr. Bowling, M.D., Ph.D., Medical Director of the Rocky Mountain MS Center, explains.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
What tests should I have done before I take Gilenya for my MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) label for Gilenya indicates that all people with multiple scl...
When should I start getting rehab for my multiple sclerosis?
Early referral to rehabilitation is extremely important for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). Reh...
What Is the Difference Between Relapsing-Remitting and Progressive MS?