How can health psychology help people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Because of the increased risk of mental health disorders, and specifically depression, health psychology is an important part of treatment for a person with multiple sclerosis (MS). Health psychology services are most actively used in the following situations:
  • adjustment and coping with the diagnosis and associated fears
  • family and couples adjustment issues, including caregiver burnout and communication issues
  • noncompliance to treatment regimen
  • needle anxiety or phobia
  • pain management related to MS
  • wellness principles
  • fatigue and energy conservation
  • MS-­related mood disorders
  • relaxation skills training

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
How is multiple sclerosis (MS) treated?
Medications are used to effectively treat other forms of multiple sclerosis (MS). Currently there ar...
What is the most effective treatment of spasticity in MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Physical therapy is probably most effective in treating spasticity of multiple sclerosis (MS). Passi...
Why Should I Avoid Caffeine if I Have Multiple Sclerosis?