How can health psychology help people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Because of the increased risk of mental health disorders, and specifically depression, health psychology is an important part of treatment for a person with multiple sclerosis (MS). Health psychology services are most actively used in the following situations:
  • adjustment and coping with the diagnosis and associated fears
  • family and couples adjustment issues, including caregiver burnout and communication issues
  • noncompliance to treatment regimen
  • needle anxiety or phobia
  • pain management related to MS
  • wellness principles
  • fatigue and energy conservation
  • MS-­related mood disorders
  • relaxation skills training

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Can Alternative Therapies Help Manage Multiple Sclerosis?
Many MS patients are looking for an extra advantage in managing symptoms or slowing disease progression. Watch neurologist Charles Smith, MD, explain ...
Why should I consider horseback riding if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Both the shape of the horse's back and the horse's movements make it ideal for multiple sclerosis (M...
Is Progurt effective in reducing the severity of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Progurt is a yogurt product from Australia, newly available in the United States, that makes the fol...
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent Multiple Sclerosis?