How can I learn to give myself a shot of multiple sclerosis medication?

If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), giving yourself a shot on a regular basis can be challenging. At first, it may feel frightening or awkward, but choosing and staying on a therapy for MS can also be empowering. You are in charge of your health. Treating MS is a long-term commitment and a good support team provides you with the encouragement you need at all stages of that journey.

Needles for intramuscular injections for multiple sclerosis (MS), such as those for Avonex, are 1.25 inches long; the sub-cutaneous needles used for Betaseron, Copaxone and Rebif, are a half-inch long. You may find that a thinner needle is less painful. Betaseron recently introduced a 30 gauge needle comparable to those used by diabetics.

You can get more tips on your technique at an MS Center, at your neurologist's office or through a nurse specially trained in MS. Starting with proper training, an MS nurse can teach you to overcome fears and be confident when giving yourself injections. Whether you are just starting on treatment or have been taking a disease-modifying drug (DMD) for years, these experts can offer assistance, answer questions and help you manage your medication. When things get hard, they are there to cheer you on. After a while, you will feel more self-assured and not need as much support.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

What to Expect from MS Infusion Therapies
Several therapies for multiple sclerosis are delivered with an infusion, where a venous catheter is inserted into a vein and medicine is delivered int...
How can cannabinoids treat pain caused by multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The efficacy of cannabinoids for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS)-related pain is also a con...
How should I take nutritional supplements if I have multiple sclerosis?
Dr. Louis RosnerDr. Louis Rosner
All patients should make sure they get the minimum daily requirements of nutritional supplements as ...
Do Dietary Supplements Help with Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?