How can I learn to give myself a shot of multiple sclerosis medication?

If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), giving yourself a shot on a regular basis can be challenging. At first, it may feel frightening or awkward, but choosing and staying on a therapy for MS can also be empowering. You are in charge of your health. Treating MS is a long-term commitment and a good support team provides you with the encouragement you need at all stages of that journey.

Needles for intramuscular injections for multiple sclerosis (MS), such as those for Avonex, are 1.25 inches long; the sub-cutaneous needles used for Betaseron, Copaxone and Rebif, are a half-inch long. You may find that a thinner needle is less painful. Betaseron recently introduced a 30 gauge needle comparable to those used by diabetics.

You can get more tips on your technique at an MS Center, at your neurologist's office or through a nurse specially trained in MS. Starting with proper training, an MS nurse can teach you to overcome fears and be confident when giving yourself injections. Whether you are just starting on treatment or have been taking a disease-modifying drug (DMD) for years, these experts can offer assistance, answer questions and help you manage your medication. When things get hard, they are there to cheer you on. After a while, you will feel more self-assured and not need as much support.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
What are the side effects of immunomodulatory drugs for multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Immunomodulatory drugs for multiple sclerosis (MS), like the interferon beta 1-a (Avonex, Rebif) and...
Can herbs help treat multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Adding healthy herbs and supplements to any diet can improve overall motor and cognitive functioning...
What Do My Eyes Reveal About My Multiple Sclerosis?