How effective is fingolimod (Gilenya)?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Fingolimod cuts the frequency of MS relapses by about 50%. It is more effective than interferon beta-la for reducing relapse frequency and slowing brain inflammation and damage that can be seen on an MRI. Some studies show that it can slow disability, but a newer study does not confirm this.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
How is a person with MS who has urinary voiding dysfunction treated?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Urinary voiding dysfunction in people with multiple sclerosis is commonly caused by sphincter dysner...
When should I start getting rehab for my multiple sclerosis?
Early referral to rehabilitation is extremely important for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). Reh...
What Is the Focus of Research for Multiple Sclerosis?