How should I choose an alternative therapy if I have MS?

The following are suggestions on how to choose a complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapy if you have multiple sclerosis (MS):
  • Visit an alternative health clinic where several therapies and treatments are available. Talk with staff members willing to discuss multiple sclerosis (MS) and your general health. Ask lots of questions!
  • Talk to your doctor and discuss any complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies you may be considering.
  • Investigate the practitioner's qualifications. Is he or she currently affiliated with any professional associations? What does the practitioner know about MS? Is he or she experienced in treating MS? Has the practitioner explained the treatment to you? What is a typical course of treatment like and how long might it last?
  • Observe your feelings. Do you feel rushed by the practitioner? Is he/she someone you feel is conscientious and trustworthy? This element of rapport may be essential for the success of many therapies.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Can Alternative Therapies Help Manage Multiple Sclerosis?
Many MS patients are looking for an extra advantage in managing symptoms or slowing disease progression. Watch neurologist Charles Smith, MD, explain ...
How can aromatherapy help me if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Many people believe certain smells can be therapeutic, a practice known as aromatherapy. It can be u...
What are the benefits of DMDs for people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
People with multiple sclerosis (MS) who take their disease-modifying drugs (DMDs), as directed, are ...
What Is the Focus of Research for Multiple Sclerosis?