How should I choose an alternative therapy if I have MS?

The following are suggestions on how to choose a complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapy if you have multiple sclerosis (MS):
  • Visit an alternative health clinic where several therapies and treatments are available. Talk with staff members willing to discuss multiple sclerosis (MS) and your general health. Ask lots of questions!
  • Talk to your doctor and discuss any complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies you may be considering.
  • Investigate the practitioner's qualifications. Is he or she currently affiliated with any professional associations? What does the practitioner know about MS? Is he or she experienced in treating MS? Has the practitioner explained the treatment to you? What is a typical course of treatment like and how long might it last?
  • Observe your feelings. Do you feel rushed by the practitioner? Is he/she someone you feel is conscientious and trustworthy? This element of rapport may be essential for the success of many therapies.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
Having multiple sclerosis (MS), what kind of doctor should I have?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
One of the most important relationships, yet one of the least cultivated, is that between the patien...
What are the benefits of using an auto-injector to give myself an MS shot?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you need to give yourself injections and seeing the needle bothers you, you might consider using ...
Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?