What sensory problems might people with multiple sclerosis experience?

Sensory problems or disturbances in feeling are often one of the earliest symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS) and occur in 20 to 50% of individuals with the disease. Paresthesias may be caused by a number of other factors, including sitting or standing in one position for too long, certain medications or lack of blood supply to the affected area. Itching, also known as pruritis, may occur as a sensory symptom of MS. While such itching causes the desire to scratch, the scratching can often intensify the itching and cause further damage to the skin. Feelings of tingling, burning or numbness, which are caused by lesions in the central nervous system, are known as dysesthesias. Literally translated from the Greek, this means "bad sensation." 

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Early Warning Signs of Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
According to a study supported by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS), nearly one million Americans are living with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
What causes walking problems in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Difficulty with walking (gait) is a common symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS). There are many causes...
Is poor digestion a common complaint among MS patients?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
Poor digestion is one of the most common multiple sclerosis symptoms. In this WisePatient video, I w...
Why Should I Avoid Caffeine if I Have Multiple Sclerosis?