What is pruritis in multiple sclerosis (MS)?

One of the rare but not unheard of symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS) is pruritis (itching), which can be included in the category of sensory abnormalities known as "dysesthesias." Because this type of itching is neurologically based, it does not respond to topical treatments like those used in allergic reactions. Anti-epileptic medications (gabapentin, carbamazepine, and phenytoin) are sometimes helpful in treating this problem.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
Can heat affect signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Heat transiently worsens symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS) and can also contribute to fatigue in M...
What is pseudobulbar affect (PBA) in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
When coping with a chronic and unpredictable disease such as multiple sclerosis (MS), it is common t...
What Do My Eyes Reveal About My Multiple Sclerosis?