What health problems can result from MS-related urinary urgency?

Urinary urgency is a very common primary symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS). It can be caused by a bladder that is triggered to empty even if a very small amount of urine is present, or a bladder that overfills and does not empty completely. When the bladder fails to empty, the remaining urine, called residual, can cause an infection.

The urinary tract infection (UTI) that can result is a secondary symptom or complication of urgency related to urinary retention. UTI symptoms include: pain or pressure over the bladder or in the groin, pain when urinating, increased urgency and frequency, a strong odor to the urine, increased fatigue, fever, and chills.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
How is aphasia, or the loss of words, linked to multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Aphasia, or the loss of words, until recently was not considered a clinical manifestation of multipl...
What causes walking problems in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Difficulty with walking (gait) is a common symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS). There are many causes...
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent Multiple Sclerosis?