What can I do to improve my speech if I have dysarthria?

Try this exercise if you have dysarthria, a term used to describe a group of speech disturbances related to muscular control in the speech mechanism. Take a deep breath, open your mouth wide and say “Ahh” for as long and loud as you can until you have no more air left in your lungs. On average, men should be able to sustain “Ahh” for 20 to 40 seconds, while women should be able to sustain “Ahh” for 15 to 35 seconds. This deceptively effective exercise increases breath support, improves control over expiratory intercostal muscles and improves vocal volume and intelligibility (speech clarity).

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What are the cognitive symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The most common cognitive (thinking and knowing) complaint associated with multiple sclerosis (MS) i...
What is pseudobulbar affect (PBA) in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
When coping with a chronic and unpredictable disease such as multiple sclerosis (MS), it is common t...
What Lifestyle Factors Influence Multiple Sclerosis?