What can I do to improve my speech if I have dysarthria?

Try this exercise if you have dysarthria, a term used to describe a group of speech disturbances related to muscular control in the speech mechanism. Take a deep breath, open your mouth wide and say “Ahh” for as long and loud as you can until you have no more air left in your lungs. On average, men should be able to sustain “Ahh” for 20 to 40 seconds, while women should be able to sustain “Ahh” for 15 to 35 seconds. This deceptively effective exercise increases breath support, improves control over expiratory intercostal muscles and improves vocal volume and intelligibility (speech clarity).

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What are the symptoms of benign multiple sclerosis?
Symptoms of benign multiple sclerosis (MS) are similar to those of any other type of MS. They are ge...
How does multiple sclerosis cause migraines?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
For most people who have multiple sclerosis (MS) and migraines, the migraines came first and are not...
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?