What are the cognitive symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The most common cognitive (thinking and knowing) complaint associated with multiple sclerosis (MS) is mild to moderate impairment of short-term memory. Other difficulties may involve attention, concentration, and the speed with which someone is able to process information. For instance, your attention span and ability to concentrate may be diminished, or you may find it difficult to get back on track if you are interrupted in the middle of a task. While these problems can be minor, they can also be frustrating and frightening. Because cognitive functions sometimes make it hard to initiate a task, others may think you are depressed or unmotivated.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
Are imbalance and incoordination a symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Incoordination and imbalance, also known as ataxia, are a common symptom of Multiple Sclerosis and o...
How common is numbness due to multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
One of the most common sensory problems associated with multiple sclerosis (MS) is numbness. Num...
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent Multiple Sclerosis?