What causes pseudobulbar affect in multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The exact cause of pseudobulbar affect (PBA) -- episodes of uncontrollable laughing and/or crying that may be inappropriate -- is not understood but it is generally accepted that PBA may occur when disease or injury damages the area of the brain that controls normal expression of emotion. This damage can disrupt brain signaling causing a "short circuit," triggering episodes of involuntary emotional expression. This might happen with a disease such as multiple sclerosis (MS), which has the potential to disrupt nerve transmissions throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
Does everyone develop the same multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
As you read the list of multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms and signs, do not be dismayed. Keep in mind...
How can I know if the numbness in my hand is due to Carpal Tunnel or MS?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
An evaluation by a neurologist with a thorough history and physical will guide the workup. Isolated ...
Do You Also Treat Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?