How can multiple sclerosis (MS) affect my balance and coordination?

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system where communication between the brain and other parts of the body is disrupted due to a break down in the insulating myelin that surrounds a person's nerves. People with MS will often have difficulty in controlling the strength and precision of movements, so that holding things can become a problem, and balance and coordination may be impaired. They also experience numbness, tingling, sensitivity to heat or cold.

Approximately 85 percent of people with MS report some spasticity, which leads to increased stiffness or tightness in their muscles adversely affecting movement. They may or may not experience other components of abnormal muscle tone, such as spasms. Complications from spasticity include pain, joint contractures, frozen joints, impaired bladder or bowel function, skin ulceration, and abnormal postures and falls.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Early Warning Signs of Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
According to a study supported by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS), nearly one million Americans are living with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
What is the clinical picture of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
A description of the clinical picture of multiple sclerosis (MS) includes symptoms, the patient's co...
Is pain a symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Pain is a common symptom in Multiple Sclerosis and can occur in up to 2/3 of patients.  Tha pain can...
What Affect Will Pregnancy Have on My Multiple Sclerosis?