How common are speech problems in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

As many as 40 percent of people who are diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) will face speech difficulties at some time. The most common problems are loudness, a harsh quality to the voice, and problems with articulation and pitch.

The symptom could hit hard with a relapse, or come and go several times a day on a regular basis. It might be so subtle that your spouse or doctor notices it before you do, or so frustrating that you don't want to leave the house.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What types of transient attacks are common for someone with MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Tonic SeizuresThere is a rare phenomenon in multiple sclerosis (MS) called the tonic seizure, which ...
Can stress cause multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Life can be stressful. Add the diagnosis of a chronic, unpredictable disease like multiple sclerosis...
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent Multiple Sclerosis?