How is aphasia, or the loss of words, linked to multiple sclerosis?

Aphasia, or the loss of words, until recently was not considered a clinical manifestation of multiple sclerosis (MS) because MS primarily affects the white matter of the brain and spinal cord, while aphasia is typically associated with diseases of the grey matter. However, a recent multi-center study investigating the prevalence of aphasia in MS found that nearly 40% of individuals with MS demonstrate markedly reduced word-finding skills. Aphasic disorders may be observed in two different situations in MS. The most common situation is experiencing difficulty generating the names of people, places and things over the disease course, while the second situation is experiencing acute aphasia during or following an exacerbation.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What are the uncommon symptoms of a spinal cord attack of MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Additional symptoms that may occur in a spinal cord attack but are not common include bowel and blad...
How can I relieve constipation from multiple sclerosis (MS)?
MSF ADMINMSF ADMIN
Constipation is by far the most common issue in both the general population and people with multiple...
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?