Are facial nerve abnormalities a symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Facial nerve abnormalities are a symptom of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and can cause weakness of one side of the face, facial muscle spasm or twitching. 

Louis Rosner
Neurology
Facial weakness, numbness, spasms, palsy, pain, and myokymia (the involuntary rapid flickering of facial muscles) occurring on one side of the face, are all symptoms that are not very common but can be multiple sclerosis (MS)-related. Facial weakness can also be due to Bell's palsy, a virus infection of the facial nerve.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What can I do to improve my speech if I have dysarthria?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Try this exercise if you have dysarthria, a term used to describe a group of speech disturbances rel...
How common are balance problems in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
It is estimated that more than 75 percent of people with multiple sclerosis (MS) have difficulty wit...
What Is the Focus of Research for Multiple Sclerosis?