What causes walking problems in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Difficulty with walking (gait) is a common symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS). There are many causes of gait issues, including muscle weakness, foot drop, muscle spasms, balance difficulty, loss of sensation and fatigue. If you have difficulty walking, your neurologist will try to identify the cause and will accordingly pick the treatment that is best for you.

Foot drop is a relatively common cause of gait disturbances in people with MS. It can have a severe impact on a person’s ability to walk and can cause serious falls. Foot drop may occur during a relapse and get better with time, or it may become permanent. In either case, there are a few treatments to help manage it.

Interventions including physical therapy, braces, functional electrical stimulation (FES) and the drug Ampyra have been shown to help improve symptoms and the quality of life of those who experience foot drop. 

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
Why does multiple sclerosis (MS) often cause muscle weakness?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Muscle weakness can occur in multiple sclerosis (MS) as a result of slowing or loss of nerve impulse...
What can I do to improve my speech if I have dysarthria?
Try this exercise if you have dysarthria, a term used to describe a group of speech disturbances rel...
Can Lifestyle Changes Improve Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?