Can multiple sclerosis (MS) affect my hearing?

While uncommon, hearing loss can be a result of multiple sclerosis (MS) -- an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system where communication between the brain and other parts of the body is disrupted due to a break down in the insulating myelin that surrounds a person's nerves. In some, hearing loss is the first symptom of the disease. It is usually associated with other symptoms that suggest damage to the brainstem, the part of the nervous system that is involved in the control of vision, hearing, balance and equilibrium.
No particular pattern of hearing loss has been associated with multiple sclerosis (MS), although some studies have suggested that a loss of hearing in the high frequencies, low frequencies, or both, with best hearing in the mid-frequencies (also known as an arched or dome configuration) may be common.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What is pruritis in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
One of the rare but not unheard of symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS) is pruritis (itching), wh...
What are the motor symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Motor symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) include muscle weakness, muscle stiffness or spasm, diffic...
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?