Why has nutrition been an area of great interest in MS research?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
Because epidemiology studies show varying multiple sclerosis (MS) incidence in different geographical locations and among different races, nutrition has been an area of great interest in MS research for many years. Diet treatments follow four theories - that MS is caused by (1) a deficiency in or excess of a food, (2) a toxic effect of a food, (3) an allergic reaction to a food, or (4) the ingestion of the "MS agent." Some diet treatments over the years have been proved ineffective, while others have not been proved or disproved but rather have failed to stand the test of time. In all fairness, the testing of diets has always been difficult. Outside a controlled hospital environment, it is estimated that only one-third of those tested will adhere strictly to a prescribed diet
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Research & Innovations

What research needs to be conducted in stem cell therapy to treat MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Stem-cell therapy is certainly an exciting and promising direction for people with multiple sclerosi...
Have scientists been able to discover the multiple sclerosis (MS) virus?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
There are three ways a "multiple sclerosis (MS) virus" could trigger the immune system response: (1)...
What Affect Will Pregnancy Have on My Multiple Sclerosis?
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?