Is television a credible source of information on multiple sclerosis?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

You might also be drawn to television or film accounts of multiple sclerosis (MS). Keep in mind that movies such as the ten-hankie Duet for One (first a successful Broadway play) are made for theatrical impact, not educational purposes. After all, tragedy is the stuff of which great drama is made. William Shakespeare didn't write Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending. And Wuthering Heights would never have had the same impact if Heathcliff hadn't had to carry his true love to the window as she lay dying in his arms.

Tugging at your heartstrings applies to some MS fundraisers and public service announcements as well. Will the National MS Society raise more money if it presents a successful career woman with invisible MS in long-term remission or a young adult in a wheelchair?

If your loved one has a history of remissions or is in remission at the present time, don't let these media images stick in your mind. Don't be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand, either, but find a way to distance yourself. Deal only with the situation at hand, and believe that the person in your life who has MS has a very good chance of having a mild course or at least one for which there are excellent treatments. You don't want to paint a tragedy that may never happen to you.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Ask the Experts: Multiple Sclerosis Relapse Prevention
While there is no way to cure or prevent multiple sclerosis, there are a number of ways people who have MS can prevent flare ups. Watch Sharecare Medi...
Will I still be able to walk if I develop multiple sclerosis?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
The vast majority of patients with multiple sclerosis retain the ability to walk.
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
How Can I Improve My Sexual Function with Multiple Sclerosis?