Has my child gotten multiple sclerosis (MS) because of genes I passed?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
As you learn about the disease, you may wonder if it's something you passed along to your child. Parents wind up feeling guilty about everything. You've probably read that although multiple sclerosis (MS) is not a hereditary disease, there is a "genetic susceptibility" that can run in a family. Don't beat yourself up over this, either. Scientists also believe exposure to an as-yet- undiscovered virus before age fifteen may be what causes genetically susceptible people to develop MS. No parent is expected to raise a child in a bubble. It's not your fault, so don't act as if it is. It's something that just happens.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Training to Fight MS
Training to Fight MS
Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is a nervous system disease that affects your brain and spinal cord—and results in long-term nerve damage. In this video, G...
How can I increase my lifestyle physical activity if I have MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
While managing the consequences of illness, lifestyle physical activity represents a new approach fo...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Is the Course of Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?